|Flag Type:||Town Flag|
|Flag Date:||9th November 2012|
|UK Design Code:||UNKG7511|
|Pantone® Colours:||White, Red 186, Blue 300|
|Certification:||Flag Institute Chief Vexillologist, Graham Bartram|
The seal of Penrith, used as the basis for the design, is thought to be of around the same date as Henry III granted the town a market charter (1223). This brass seal was lost for some time following Scottish raids in the 14th Century, and fortunately recovered in the mid 19th Century during building work near the church at Bramton. The seal is now kept in the local museum in Penrith.
The saltire is a clear reference to St Andrew, after whom the parish church in the centre of Penrith is dedicated. The clear link to Scotland points to the chequered history of the region which was alternately under English and Scottish rule until 1237, and still claimed by Scotland until 1295 under the rule of Edward I, and was still disputed after this date.
The colours of the cross and background have been chosen to be red on white, thus making a strong graphic image and following an example that was found printed on a souvenir small pot made by Goss and manufactured and in use before World War 1. The red arms of the saltire can recall the light of the traditional Penrith beacon stretching out.
Although registered as a traditional flag the design also received support from a public poll in the local newspaper, the registration submission was made by the Penrith Civic Society. The realisation of the design was created by Philip Tibbetts, resident of the town.
You are here: Home > Penrith, Cumberland
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Search the Flag Institute website
all-day Staffordshire – Anniversary of W...
Staffordshire – Anniversary of W...
May 1 all-day
The date commemorates the founding of Josiah Wedgwood and Sons which took place in 1759. This was chosen as part of a public vote, the other candidates remain other significant dates for flying the county[...]