Who We Are
The Flag Institute is a members’ association and UK-registered charity devoted to the study and promotion of flags and flag flying (vexillology).
Founded in 1971, we are an independent organisation – international, inclusive and informed:
- run and funded entirely by members
- global membership
- novices and experts, vexillologists and vexillographers, flag geeks and flag nerds
- individual, group and trade
- global interests
- member of the International Federation of Vexillological Associations (FIAV)
- four-time host of the International Congress of Vexillology (ICV)
- global centre of excellence and knowledge hub
What We Do
Our purpose is to advance public knowledge, understanding and use of flags.
- documenting, celebrating and promoting flags in all their diversity
- sharing knowledge, opinion and ideas
- supporting the design and adoption of new flags
But that’s not all …
We also serve as the authority on flags and flag flying:
- enquiry line – for individuals, organisations, trade and media
- expert comment on current and breaking news
- advice to the UK Parliament, national and local government, diplomatic services, military units and more
- home of the definitive UK Flag Registry
- free online guidance – flag design, UK flag protocol, Union Flag or Union Jack and more
- Individual: print or online
- Group: schools, libraries, colleges, museums, central or local government etc
- Trade: flagmakers, publishers, other commercial organisations
For more information, including current subscription rates, please click here.
Flying Our Flag
The flag of the Flag Institute is a stylised representation of a quarter of the Union Flag, creating a dynamic image of vexillology moving forward.
Designers: Graham Bartram (Chief Vexillologist) and Philip Tibbetts (Communities Vexillologist)