Orginally based at the Beaumaris home of our founder Dr William Crampton, and then for many years at the Naval Club in Mayfair, the Flag Institute’s official headquarters is now HQS Wellington following a vote of members at the 2014 AGM.
Built at Devonport in 1934, HMS Wellington served in the Pacific before the Second World War. During the war, Wellington was fitted with two 4.7 inch and one three inch guns. Additionally, anti-aircraft guns were fitted for self defence. Depth charges for use against submarines were also carried. The Wellington then served primarily in the North Atlantic on convoy escort duties. She shared in the destruction of an enemy U boat and was involved in Operation Dynamo, at Dunkirk.
She was then converted from being His Majesty’s Ship Wellington to Head Quarters Ship Wellington at the Chatham dockyards. She arrived at her Victoria Embankment berth in December 1948 to continue service as the floating livery hall of the Honourable Company of Master Mariners.
In 1991 HQS Wellington was dry-docked at Sheerness for three months during which, apart from extensive steelwork repairs and complete external painting, she received a major refurbishment which included the refitting of all toilet facilities, offices and accommodation areas. For the first time, Wellington was fully fitted with custom-made carpet, which added a feeling of comfort and warmth to the ship. This, coupled with imaginative displays of the Company’s marine paintings and artefacts, gold and silver plate, ship models and newly discovered very early 18th century charts, help make the ship a Livery Hall which is admired throughout the City of London.
On the 1st July 2005 ownership of the Wellington was transferred from the Honourable Company to the Wellington Trust. On 15th November 2014, at our Annual General Meeting, Flag Institute members voted to change the Institute’s official address to:
The Flag Institute
London WC2R 2PN
This is the Flag Institute’s official address for correspondence; it will also used for Institute meetings and social functions held in the capital. The Institute does not maintain a permanent staff at this location.
To contact the Flag Institute Administrator directly, please continue to contact:
Mrs Kath Kearney, Flag Institute Administrator
Office of the Chief Executive
7 De La Beche Street, Swansea SA1 3EZ,
Telephone: 01792 650 046
Fax: 01792 650 041