Founded in 1971, and funded entirely by member subscriptions, the Flag Institute documents, celebrates and promotes flags in all their variety, sharing knowledge, opinion and ideas – in person, in print and online.
In the absence of a UK Flag Act, the Flag Institute acts as the de facto authority on flags flown in the UK and the Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories. It provides expert advice to national and local government, diplomatic services, military units and more; encourages local communities to create and adopt their own flag through open competition and democratic vote; and maintains the free UK Flag Registry as the formal record of current designs.
Welcoming members from all six continents, the Flag Institute is also proudly international in scope and outlook. It is a full member of the International Federation of Vexillological Associations (FIAV) – a worldwide network of c.50 flag organisations. It is also a three-time host of the biennial International Congress of Vexillology (ICV) – most recently in London in 2017.
Novice or expert, vexillologist or vexillographer, flag geek or flag nerd – Flag Institute membership is open to all.
Individual, group and trade memberships are all available, priced according to band (digital, UK, Europe or World).
- Group membership is ideal for schools, libraries, colleges, museums, government departments (local or central) etc.
- Trade membership is designed for flagmakers, publishers and other commercial organisations.
Membership benefits include:
- Flagmaster: enjoy exclusive access to the authoritative, full-colour journal of the Flag Institute in its new, expanded, 48-page format (print and/or PDF)
- Spring and Winter Conferences (free registration): meet and talk flags with an international mix of speakers and members
- President’s Dinner/Drinks: round off your Conference in style with good food, good wine and good company
- Writing/speaking opportunities: share your research and enthusiasms via Flagmaster or from the Conference podium
- William Crampton Library: explore the Flag Institute’s unique research and documentation centre
- PDF resources: download free or exclusive to members (member-only downloads include Flagmaster Issue 117 to date)
- International Congress of Vexillology (ICV): widen your horizons at this biennial world flag gathering
- Expert comment, enquiry and advisory services: ask the Flag Institute Media and Enquiry Teams
- News: keep up to date via website, RSS, Facebook and Twitter
- Voting rights: shape the Flag Institute’s present and future
- Volunteering opportunities: contribute as a Trustee and/or Officer
- Flag Institute lapel pin
- Flag Institute Member/Trade Member logo
For further information, including 2019/2020 subscription rates, please click here.
The Flag Institute Flag
Designed by Graham Bartram, Chief Vexillologist, and Philip Tibbetts, Communities Vexillologist, the flag of the Flag Institute depicts a stylised representation of a quarter of the Union Flag, creating a dynamic emblem representing vexillology moving forward.