Founded in 1971, the Flag Institute is a UK charity working to promote interest in all aspects of flags and flag flying (vexillology); to foster knowledge and understanding; and to offer a unique free source of expert advice, information and comment. Membership is open to all. JOIN TODAY and find out more!
You are here: Home > Flags in the UK
Flags in the UK
From the national flag, with its 400-year history, to the latest community flag, the Flag Institute maintains a special focus on all aspects of British flags and flag flying.
Find free, expert advice and information:
- Union Jack or Union Flag?: guidance on this age-old controversy
- the Union Flag: a short history
- the Union Flag: a detailed specification
UK Flag Flying
- Flying Flags in the United Kingdom: an authoritative, fully illustated guide to British flag protocol – the rules of flag flying in the UK
- Creating Local and Community Flags: guidance on designing new UK flags for adoption through open competition and popular vote
UK Flag Registry
- UK Flag Registry: managed by the Flag Institute as the free, formal record of current patterns
Register of British Flagmakers
- Register of British Flagmakers: find flagmakers who manufacture in the UK
Search the Flag Institute website